Sunday, November 8, 2009

TWO project updates! Both good!

1. Male Caftan: Pattern has been pinned to the fabric!!! I have the edits for the body of the garment done, and the sleeves won't be too hard once Corn Pirate gets ahold of them. :D

2. CORSET!! I paid corn pirate in two bags of off-brand "gummy sour fruit slices" and two bags of York peppermint patties. By "bag" i mean those giant sacks you get at the grocery store. Then, yesterday, I bought the fabric for the corset. It only set me back $6, mostly because it's cheap satin lined with broadcloth, and the canvas i'm using in stead of interfacing is already being stored at the Robotics build site (No one will miss 5/8ths of a yard). I also bought the eyelets and bias tape, but the rest of the notions are really expensive. I need nearly 8 yards of boning, which is about $24 by itself. I also need a corset busk. Handcock Fabrics doesn't even sell those. Oh, also, it calls for ribbon, but I'm not going to buy that until I've actually seen how it turns out. The boning is what's going to kill me. But even if I assume the busk is $20 (no way it's more; if it is, i can bullshit my own), that brings the project cost (including bias tape and eyelets) to about $50 dollars. Add in the ribbon and laces and it's roughly $65 dollars. I know, sounds super pricy, but a fully functioning corset is $100, more if you want any sort of style to it. I save $35 dollars. For me, that's a new pair of glasses. No, future self, those aren't the frames I wore. You should know that since you still have the actual frames I wear now. They're bitching awesome!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home